Monday, October 31, 2005

An Original Thought -Or "I Don't Know Who I Lifted This One From"


Man what a weekend! We hosted THE HUNT last night and it was incredible. We had such a fun time watching the students get so excited. The airport scene came off without a hitch and looked like something you would see at Universal Studios. The shirts looked awesome on everyone and it was such a blast! There were a few minor glitches, but an overall fantastic event!

Well, I've been in Maryland now going on two months. I have been making my adjustment pretty good. Other than getting teary-eyed passing by some Texas Longhorn cattle and hanging out for a couple of hours at the grocery store, staring at the Texas Toast, I'm doing just fine. I was driving around today and was in awe of the beautiful lanscape of the seasons. I was looking at only what I thought came in pictures, not actually existed! It was great to be driving around the back roads and feeling like I was on a beautiful scenic vacation.

Now that I have had sometime to reflect on moving and catch up to the fact that I have actually moved, I have had a couple of original thoughts. (Or at least, I have not consciously lifted them.)

I was moving in last week and encountered the thought about time and the cliche` "Time heals all wounds." I thought about it a while and I am not so sure it does. I don't think time heals our wounds, I think time only allows us an opportunity to do something with our wounds. If we are not deliberate, time will only allow us the flexibility to forget our wounds and busy our lives with something else, not heal them.

Now I do understand that I am splitting hairs, but the idea is this. Time doesn't heal wounds, God does. Only when we choose to allow Him to deal with us and change our perspective and grow our faith, does healing occur. Rach and I had a coversation tonight thinking another thought along the same line. We came to the conclusion that the only time our faith grows is when we doubt our faith. Let me explain. I think the process would go something like this: We have a thought of doubting God, something like "I don't think God has MY best interest in mind, so I will help Him out. Then we "leave our faith" momentarily in search of something else, only to find that their is nothing out there that can come close to Christ! So we return to our faith again this time stronger than when we left.

So what does this mean? I think maybe wounds force doubt, and provide opportunities for growth or rejection to God. This means that wounds that occur due to our sin, or someone else's sin, still have the potential to draw us nearer to Christ.

There still needs to be some thought on the fact that some people do leave their faith in Christ. Although, I think that a little light on the subject would most likely reveal that this person didn't leave a faith, they only left a religion. They certainly didn't find something better than Christ, only something they felt they could earn.
***

It's crazy how much time one can spend thinking while living in that wonderful world of Tetris called Moving! Followed by a new pass-time with all your stuff in boxes called Memory! You would think at 30 I wouldn't still be playing Tetris and Memory.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dang friend! I miss you very much.

Anonymous said...

Jason, that makes me think of something I posted last month...it was something my professor said, "Faith without doubt, may not show enough respect for truth". Great post. I miss you and Rachel very much. I have some good news to tell you both. I am trying to find time to call. Love you both.

Anonymous said...

Ok, now that I have stopped crying and confessed and installed a new keyboard! I miss you!!!! Glad to know that you are doing great and thinking! I know its been a while, you know they whole thing about well I was thinking for you while you were here thing!!!! Its great to see kids walk for the first time!!! So anyway, I miss you and we really do need to get some coffee sometime!

Anonymous said...

Very cool post!