Wednesday, October 05, 2005

"Canterbury Tale" #1

Rach and I had an incredible summer visiting England. I have been so busy since we summer I haven't really had a good opportunity to share much about our trip. I thought I would take the opportunity to reflect on one of the first memories of the trip. As time goes on I will throw in a "Canturbury Tale" of my own.

Tues. June, 28th, 2005.
We reached Gatwick about 7:00 am or so and made our way through customs and baggage claim. We gathered in a large group and took turns watching luggage for the group, so others could take a restroom break.

I disctinctly remember the most peculiar sight. I was standing in front of a news store, watching a pile of luggage when I noticed a news-stand across the room. At the corner of one end of the stand, stood a man holding a sign reading: "Mrs. Freedman." On the other stood a man holding a sign reading: "Mr. Bond."

Now, what was the big deal? Well, you have to understand my point of view. I was completely observing everything in sight, looking to read everything, both cliche' and original. So when I see the newstand and the two signs I can only think of the symbolism.

The news-stand represented a megaphone amplifing everything the world has to offer and then truth on either side it. Freedom on one side and bondage on the other. It was poetic and would have made a great picture.

Where's the camera when you need it?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

the background of manciple