Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Recent Prose

I spoke a few weeks ago I spoke at our main service at LifePoint. In the middle of writing my message, I decided to write some prose that reflected my need for mercy. What started as a whim became something that had real meaning to me, as most everything that I wrote had some story behind it. It may not make a lot of since outside the context of the sermon, but you can read it any way. Also, if you like, you can listen to the sermon here. or download it here.

Now for the prose:

I’ve Seen Him
by Jason Fullen

I’ve seen him. Distant. Far from morality. Hateful. Bitter.
I’ve seen him, with his disdain for the fair.
I’ve seen him mock, scold and complain; I’ve seen the selfishness in his veins.
I’ve seen him lie; Treat truth as frivolity and walk in defiance as if it were royalty.
I’ve seen him.
I’ve seen him be consumed by self-centeredness, amused at his wittiness, oblivious to his thoughtlessness.
I’ve seen him crave the tasteless, shun the majestic and gasp in awe of the worthless.
I’ve seen him beat up the helpless and follow the ignorant.
I’ve seen him sneer at the young and ignore the old.
I’ve seen him.
I’ve seen him speak harm to the innocent and encourage the thief.
I’ve seen him sing the praise of cruelty and laugh at injustice.
I’ve seen him cry over pettiness and overjoyed at insignificance.

How dare this man?! Does he not know?! Ignorance upon ignorance!
How can a man be so blind?
He spends out of his bankruptcy. When will he learn?
God give him mercy! Poor it on strong!
Bring healing to his depravity and pour grace on his soul!
I’ve seen him. He lives too close.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

This is beautiful. I'll have to go listen to the sermon.

Justin Carnley said...

I see him every day...right after I wash my face.

Kelsey said...

I love this :)

But I love you more.

Kacie said...

wow, that was amazing......wow

Anonymous said...

Oh Jason, I wish I lived closer! Hearing your voice made me miss you and Rach so much.

Thanks for the message. It compels me toward mercy.

angela adams said...

wait, how did I become anonymous...that message was from your cousin Angela