Monday, March 17, 2008

Irish? On Saint Patti's Day?

I decided to look around for the origin of the name Fullen and found a few things interesting...





But to my surprise, this is the most wierd...

"Re: What is the origin of the name Fullen?"

Answer1: "My mother's maiden name is Fullen and her father was William John Fullen born in Desertmartin Co-Derry N-Ireland and lived there all his life.He died in1947. There is still a long line of Fullens alive and well living in Co-Derry.[Ireland] will try and find out more of your 3rd great grandfathers connection,if any,to my family."

Answer2: "The spelling is actually correct. Fullen comes from someone who feltches or felting they would be considered a fullen."

Answer3: "I am a Fullen by marriage. The information I got from a family name researcher is that Fullen is a variation of Fuller, an occupational name referring to the process of making full cloth from wool. Because the process involved walking repeatly over the cloth as it was formed, the name Walker is another derivitive. The Fullen variation was used in SW England and Wales."

If Answer1 is correct, then does anyone else think that it's crazy I discovered this for the first time on Saint Patrick's Day?

3 comments:

Robert Conn said...

What about 'Jullen'?

Kacie said...

Very interesting. I've always assumed it came from Fuller, but I thought mom said it was dutch. I'm sure she hasn't reasearched it though. We thought that Carnley was Irish, but recently found out that it's German. The funny thing is that Carnley isn't the original form either, it comes from Kenlein (pronounced "kenline") I do think it is interseting that you found this out today. What made you look?

Kathi Roach said...

Hey Jason,
I came upon your blog through Jodie's. (Who's in the attic????)
Anyway, I'm still somewhat new to this blogging thing and am constantly discovering new "bloggers!" Fun!

Interesting insights into your name....no need to look up Roach...I guess we can all figure that one out!
What about the Fullen/Roach Golf Invitational? Will you be going this year?