Wednesday, November 30, 2005

"No. No. I got this one"


I have recently been reminded about the most often recurring sin in the old testament. The sin of forgetfullness. I find it interesting that when I heard this I actually said to myself, "is it a sin to forget?", followed by a quick "of course, forget God? That is definitely a sin. "

Then I would go on to remember, that God was constantly telling the Isrealites, "Remember me!" He started the prayer shawls with tassells tied in knots to remind them of God throughtout the day (Rob Bell) and then He also sent prophets to declare His word and then commanded that it be written down. And then their is the feast of booths that celebrated forgiveness and mercy and reminded generation after generation of God's goodness.

It's sad to me to think that I still forget. I go all day and then pray at a meal and realize, the one that created and supplies life, the one that vocationally serve, sometimes gets forgotten.

It seems to me that maybe this would be a good reason to pray without ceasing. Ceasing at prayer causes us to forget. Which means that everything we do, whatever it is, should recieve prayer. (Read: My X min "quiet time" becomes an excuse to not pray about everything) Maybe the goal should be constant prayer.

Funny. The alternative to not praying without ceasing, it subtly telling God "this one's mine."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Funny you should mention the tassels. Just yesterday I read that same passage (not so randomly I might add) and I was struck by the fact that God wanted the tassels and strands as a reminder to the people so they would not “prostitute themselves”. So I did a quick study on how the word used that term “prostitute ourselves” elsewhere. What I found was that in all the other cases it refers to the people (us) following after gods and idols (see Lev 17:7; Jud 2:17; Ps 106:39; Jer 3:2; Hos 4:12). However in this passage (Num 15:37-41) it refers to the lusts of our own hearts and eyes.

This could mean 2 things. 1) that we are our own gods or idols or 2) that what we wish for and that which we see as desirable becomes to us a god or an idol .

Interesting!

Anonymous said...

thanks for the blog

Anonymous said...

What a great point Jason. I hope I remember it.

Anonymous said...

Nice post, but I have to wonder what the Rob Bell comment meant?