Friday, January 11, 2008

Just Curious...

Read the text below and honestly evaluate whether you knew the following before you read this post, or you had no idea until this, or you knew an estimated percentage of the information below. I will comment first.

The Cold War began after World War Two. The main enemies were the United States and the Soviet Union. The Cold war got its name because both sides were afraid of fighting each other directly. In such a "hot war," nuclear weapons might destroy everything. So, instead, they fought each other indirectly. They supported conflicts in different parts of the world. They also used words as weapons. They threatened and denounced each other. Or they tried to make each other look foolish.

14 comments:

Jason Fullen said...

Never knew the origin of the name Cold War. 0%

Comments:I've noticed that I hear a lot of people state things that I know of, but not know directly. I'm curious if I'm the only one.

daniel said...

I think I knew 98% of this, but that's probably due to the fact that I'm a history minor.

Robert Conn said...

I'd say 98% as well. But that's probably due to the fact that Daniel is a history minor.


Really, I had a great History teacher in school.

Jessica said...

roughly 95%. i didn't know that the sides supported conflicts in other portions of the world.

i had a wonderful teacher two years ago for AP U.S. History.

Danielle said...

I didn't know anything about any of it. So...0%. I guess maybe I should be disappointed in myself about that...but I'm not.

Danielle said...

Jason, I love you, and you should care enough about me to update my blog into your list.

blake stewart said...

I knew 100% of this because one of my college history professors was a Cold War fanatic... Probably 35% of our final was on the Cold War alone...

Yeah. No fun.

Amy said...

98.3%

Kaity said...

That would be 0%. I never payed attention in any kind of history class.

Lance said...

I knew you were going to write this blog before you even wrote it.

Jodie said...

I read the first three words of the statement and immediately knew what my answer would be...0%. I slept through history. But I still know the "FOIL" method for solving algebra equations! (which is probably no longer used!)

Clay said...

BA in History...100%

Jessica said...

jodie, the FOIL method is still used. even in calculus (despite the fact that it's implied)

mimi said...

I knew it all, because I lived through it and am a news junkie. If I am not mistaken, one person who helped end the cold war was Charlie Wilson. See the movie "Charlie Wilson's War." I think some of the things he did caused the Soviet Union to suffer financially. Now, I hope the real history gurus here will correct my wrongs.